Transport to School



Buses Inside Hamilton (BUSIT)

BUSIT services to St John’s CollegeHamilton’s comprehensive public transport network is made up of 28 bus routes within the city, meaning there are plenty of bus connection options from home to school.

There are three bus services that travel to, or near, St John’s.

  • 2 Silverdale travels from Silverdale, via St John’s and Hamilton East into the city centre.
  • 17 Hamilton East Uni travels from the University, via St John’s and Hamilton East into the city centre.
  • Orbiter buses also travel to the university along Knighton Road and the Hillcrest Warehouse stop on Clyde Street, just a short walk through to St John’s.

All bus trips in Hamilton cost school students $1.70 with a BUSIT card, when in school uniform or with a valid school ID. Wherever you travel in the city, you can transfer onto another bus for free, as long as it’s within an hour of buying your ticket.  

Buses leaving the school towards town can be busy in the afternoon. Students are to line at the head of the bus stop. Three buses travel to this stop within a 15-20 minute period after school to enable all students to be picked up.

For more information about buses, visit and see their flyer (pdf).

There’s also a Google Transit journey planner available on the site so you can plan door to door journeys from home to school.


Buses from Outside Hamilton

Currently students who travel by bus may be eligible for school transport assistance if

1)  they live more than 4.8km from the nearest school and

2)  they do not have access to public passenger service transport.

School Transport Application for Assistance Form is available at the College.

There are routes currently operating from

  • Cambridge – GoBus Route 2365
  • Horotiu-Horsham Downs – Greenline Route 2103
  • Huntly – GoBus Route 2337
  • Matangi – Cambridge GoBus Route 2362
  • Morrinsville – Turley Motors
  • Ngaruawahia – GoBus Route 2338
  • Orini – Greenline
  • Paeroa-Te Aroha
  • Pirongia-Te Pahu
  • Puketaha-Gordonton – Greenline Route 2104
  • Raglan – GoBus
  • Te Awamutu – GoBus Route 2105



In keeping with legislation, approved helmets are to be worn when cycling. Students are to obey the Road Code and have a safe bicycle.

Bicycles are to be walked in the College grounds and parked in the lock-up area by the hockey turf.



Students require written permission from their parent/caregiver to travel to and from College by car. Forms are available from Student Services.

The College accepts no responsibility for any damage, loss or use of your vehicle.

There is a limited number of carparks available for students and these will be offered to Senior Leaders first. Students who are not allocated a carpark will not be able to park on school property.

Cars parked on school grounds must display a valid parking permit at all times or risk being towed away.